What is a proposal?
A proposal is a sales document that allows a firm to state how it can address a potential client’s needs. These client needs may be explicitly stated in a Request for Proposal (RFP) or other document, or the firm may infer the client’s needs from conversations and other intelligence.
Proposals vary in length and complexity. A proposal may be as short as a page, or may encompass multiple pages in multiple volumes. When I started writing proposals, these volumes (with perhaps 10 or more proposal copies of all volumes) were printed on hardcopy paper, bound in binders, packaged in huge boxes, and shipped to the customer. Today, most proposals are electronically uploaded to the client’s website.
Regardless of the length, the proposal has to convey
- that the proposing firm understands the client’s needs, and that
- the proposing firm can satisfy the client’s needs in a way that is mutually beneficial to both parties.
The proposal includes a call to action, which may be a simple statement such as “Let’s talk” or may be a longer statement such as “WidgetCorp looks forward to participating in the product demonstration outlined in section 14.2.1 (as modified in RFP Amendment 3) of Appendix A of RFP 2021-A-28.”
How can Bredemarket help you create proposals?
My proposal work is managed under the Bredemarket 4000 Long Writing Service. Unlike many of my other services, this is billed at an hourly rate rather than as a fixed price offering.
Depending upon your needs, I can assist in proposal managing, proposal writing, proposal editing, or other proposal needs. In the case of unsolicited proposal letter development, this can be on your timeline. When responding to client RFPs, the client schedule controls.
Because of my extensive identity industry expertise, I can provide enhanced services to identity (biometric and secure document) firms as a biometric proposal writing expert. I have worked with multiple biometric modalities (friction ridge, face, iris, voice, DNA) for customers in multiple countries at the national, state/provincial/regional, and local levels for both government and enterprise clients. I can speak WSQ, ANSI/NIST, FRVT, or NPS-NIST-ICD as needed.
Here are a few examples of proposal deliverables that I have provided.
- Writing: Created five proposal letter templates to let a biometric firm’s sales staff propose two products to five separate markets. After completing the first three templates, I received this unsolicited testimonial:
“I just wanted to truly say thank you for putting these templates together. I worked on this…last week and it was extremely simple to use and I thought really provided a professional advantage and tool to give the customer….TRULY THANK YOU!”
- Analyzing: Monitored the social media activity of a biometric firm’s competition, and created responsive proposal text to position the firm against its competition.
- Editing: Assisted a biometric firm in the final stages of an RFP response, editing its proposal both before and after its Gold Team review.
Bredemarket uses a collaborative process with its clients to ensure that the final written product communicates the client’s desired message. Often the client provides specific feedback at certain stages of the process to ensure that the messaging is on track. I combine the client’s desires with my communications expertise to create a final written product that pleases both of us.
If you need my proposal services, contact me.